The Barnes and Noble’s Nook eReader is a great gadget one could have, however at some point in time your Nook will run slow or would tend to fail to respond on certain button presses. If you encounter slowness on your B&N Nook eReader, then you may need to reset it. Like any other electronics devices, Barne’s and Noble’s Nook will at some point need to be reset or restored to its factory settings. There are several ways to reset the Nook. This tutorial will show you how to reset the Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, and Nook Tablet.
Method 1 – Nook Hard Reset
- This will restore your nook to a known good state.
- Press and hold the Power button.
- Release the button after 12 seconds.
- Remove your SDCARD
- Remove the battery for 10 seconds.
Method 2 – Restore your Nook’s Factory Settings
- Light Restore – This will restore your nook to a known good state.
- Remove your SDCARD
- Press Settings on the touchpad, press Device, then “Unregister your Nook”, and Confirm.
- Below it, press “Reset to Factory Settings”, and Confirm.
- Hard Restore – This will restore all factory settings just like when you bought it. You will lose all data if you perform this step.
- Press the upper-right backpage button (<) and the power button simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- It should restore after doing so.
Method 3 - Manual Restore/Reformat
This will actually restore it to the same exact way you got it from the store, brand new, including with the un-updated software assuming that there have been updates since you got it. It’s the Nook equivalent of restoring your computer with a fresh format and new Windows/Mac/Linux installation. You will lose all data if you perform this step.
- Remove the SDCard.
- Turn Off your Nook.
- While it is off, press and hold the power button for 13 seconds until the screen flickers. Repeat this steps 6 times.
- Turn on your Nook. It will then start to reformat. All you have to do at this point is wait.
Method 4 - Update your Nook
- Press the “My Library” button, and make sure you’re in the “My B&N Library” area.
- Tap the “Check for new B&N content” button. This will show you if you need and update or not. Please be patient and follow through the entire process.
That’s it. I may have missed out some things on this one, so feel free to comment below if you have something to share!