Are you having printing problems with your Hewlett-Packard printer? No need to worry, HP has a utility that will help you diagnose and fix the problem quickly and easily by automatically removing faulty files and registry entries. This Fix, however, is only available for USB-connected Hewlett Packard printers installed on Microsoft Operating Systems.
Update May 2009:
There is another version of this print diagnostic utility here, which is compatible with other brands and all windows operating systems (2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7)! This fix also works with wireless or USB connections.
- Determine if your Operating Sytem is either 32-bit or 64-bit. Click on “Start” – “Run” – type in “WinVer” (without quotes).
- If you are using a 64-bit Operating System, Download and Install the 64-Bit Print Diagnostic Utility.
- If you are using a 32-bit Operating System, Download and Install the 32-Bit Print Diagnostic Utility.
- Double Click on the downloaded file to install the Print Diagnostic Utility. You won’t miss it after it is installed, it is the one with the black HP icon on your desktop.
- Launch the print utility, click on the “Diagnose Button.” By the way, if you have multiple HP printer, make sure you select the printer you want to diagnose on the dropdown. If the Print diagnostic utility printers dropdown is blank, then stop right here. Your printer driver is not properly installed you may proceed with uninstalling and reinstalling your HP software.
- After hitting “Diagnose,” errors are easy to spot since it will be marked in red X. If you have such errors, do not worry, just click on the red X to highlight it and hit on the “FIX” Button and it will fix it automatically. Click on refresh to make sure the list are all checked and green before you proceed to the next step.
- Restart your computer. It should be fixed now.